London Road Stadium or ABAX Stadium for sponsorship reasons, is a multi-functional football stadium located in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire. Dating back to 1913 the 16,315 capacity venue is primarily used for the home matches of Peterborough United who are a lower league football team.
Table of Contents
Stadium Guide by Football Tripper
London Road Stadium first opened way back in 1923 in a form which would have been largely unrecognisable from today’s ground. Consisting of a single wooden stand capable seating just 250 supporters, the ground was originally used by Peterborough & Fletton United between 1923-1932, before becoming Peterborough United’s permanent home in 1934.
In the club’s formative years The Posh relied on the local council to improve the stadium, and it wasn’t until Peterborough purchased London Road from the council in the 1950s that the ground really increased in size. The first development took place in 1953 and saw the redevelopment of Moy’s End Terrace.
A year later London Road End was also made into a fully-covered terrace, and at the start of the 1957-1958 season a new 2,404 all-seater stand was constructed. Replacing the previous wooden structure, the gap which now existed between the pitch and the all-seater stand was now replaced by sections of terracing.
London Road remained distinctly old school until the club earned promotion to the First Division in 1992. Occurring in the wake of high profile stadium disasters and after the publication of the Taylor Report in 1990, Peterborough were required to construct more seating as football was about to enter the modern era which essentially banned standing at top-flight games.
Towards the end of the 1995-1996 season, a new marque stand was completed. Capable of seating 5,000 fans across two-tiers, this currently represents the most modern redevelopment at London road. This may soon change howeveras the club carried out demolotion work on the Moy’s End Terrace in December 2013 in order to pave the way for a new all-seater stand.
The following four stands make up Peterborough’s stadium: Main Stand (North), Moy’s End Terrace (East), the Norwich and Peterborough Stand (South) and the London Road Terrace (West).
Click the thumbnails above to enlarge an image of each stand and to read a more detailed description of each part of the Stadium.
Away fans Guide
- Adults: Advanced (£23.00), Matchday (£26.00)
- Seniors (60+) / 18-21s: Advanced (£14.00), Matchday (£17.00)
- Under 18s: Advanced (£10.00), Matchday (£13.00)
Best Pubs Near Ground
For any fans traveling from the centre of town there is a decent number of “proper” pubs located enroute to the stadium starting with the Drapers Arms which is less than five minutes from Peterborough railway station.
As you proceed along the A15 you will encounter plenty of other pubs including the Park Inn Radisson, with the Charters Bar located after you cross the River Nene very much popular when the weather is nice.
Charters Bar is housed on a former Dutch Barge and is a Camra listed pub which stocks over a dozen real ales on tap, and the owners allow fans to take their drinks outside and enjoy them on the banks of the river. The second most popular pub for both sets of fans is probably The Cherry Tree which is a 19th century pub located on Oundle Road less than 10 minutes from the ground.
Also less than a few hundred yards southwest of Peterborough’s ground is the conveniently placed Peacock Pub which can get very busy on matchdays, with the Posh Pub located in the north stand being the official watering hole of the club.
Food - Places to Eat
There is a KFC west of the stadium on London road which is popular on match days and a Burger Bar which does a roaring trade outside the ground.
Peterborough FC operate a club shop at their London Road Stadium, an occasional mobile shop unit within the city centre and their own e-commerce site, The Posh Online Store.
The opening times for the store at the ground are as follows:
- Monday – Thursday: 9.00 am – 5.00 pm
- Friday: 10.00 am – 5.00 pm
- Saturday: 10.00 am – 3.00 pm
- Saturday home match: 9.00 am – kick-off
- Midweek home match: 9.00 am – kick-off
During days when there is a home match the club shop will reopen for around 30 minutes after the full time whistle.
It doesn’t appear as if Peterborough United FC currently offer fans the chance to undertake a stadium tour of London Road Stadium. If this changes, we’ll be sure to update this section.
Peterborough United Tickets
Tickets to see Posh play at home can be purchased via the holy triumvirate of telephone (0844 847 1934), in person at the stadium ticket office and online from Posh Tickets.
Ticket Prices for League One:
London Road Terrace
- Adults: Advanced (£18.00), Match day (£21.00)
- Seniors (60+) / 18-21s: Advanced (£12.00), Match day (£15.00)
- Under 18s: Advanced (£8.00), Match day (£11.00)
- Adults: Advanced (£23.00), Match day (£26.00)
- Seniors (60+) / 18-21s: Advanced (£14.00), Match day (£17.00)
- Under 18s: Advanced (£10.00), Match day (£13.00)
South Family Stand
- Adults: Advanced (£23.00), Match day (£26.00)
- Seniors (60+) / 18-21s Advanced: (£14.00), Match day (£17.00)
- Under 18s: Advanced (£5.00), Match day (£5.00)
- Under 10s: Free with adult.
- Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 U18s): Advanced (£46.00), Match day (£52.00)
- Adults: Advanced (£20.00), Match day (£23.00)
- Seniors (60+) / 18- 21s: Advanced (£13.00), Match day (£16.00)
- Under 18s: Advanced (£5.00), Match day (£12.00)
Visiting the Stadium - Travel
London Road stadium is located on the southern bank of the River Nene, Peterborough, approximately half a mile from the traditional city centre.
The stadium’s address for satnav is as follows:
- London Road Stadium, London Rd, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE2 8AL.
Due to ongoing redevelopment at the ground the car park is currently out of access to non-members of the club with Peterborough encouraging fans to park at the Pleasure Fair Meadow Council and Railworld car parks instead. These are located opposite the stadium adjacent to the Town Bridge on Oundle Road and cost a few quid max.
Train - Public Transport
Peterborough Railway Station is located exactly 1 mile north of London Road on foot and this short journey will take you no more than 20 minutes, although there are taxis available if you would prefer.
- Exit the station and turn right towards the main road, Bourges Boulevard.
- Head southwards parallel to the tracks towards the large roundabout.
- Pass under the railway bridge and proceed up the path to the main road.
- Using the pedestrian underpass, pass the Evening Telegraph building continuing forward.
- At the set of traffic lights, turn right and cross the bridge.
- Follow London road pass the junction and the stadium will be on your left hand side.
Hotels Near Stadium
On London Road itself there is the Queensgate Hotel which is essentially 60 seconds from the stadium just past The Peacock Pub, and slightly further away at around the 5 minute mark there is Clarks Guest House/ B&B Peterborough.
The remaining accommodation options lie north of the River Nene back towards Peterborough city centre with the highly rated Great Northern Hotel right next to the train station.